By Carolyn Twesten, Weaver Street Market Produce Merchandiser
Many people associate beets with those mushy pink slices that taste a little bit like the can they just came out of. It doesn’t have to be that way! Beets are actually a delicious, healthy vegetable that makes a great presentation on the plate. Here’s what you’ve been missing if you’ve been skipping out on the beets:
- They are DELICIOUS when roasted till they caramelize, either on their own or dressed up in a balsamic vinaigrette. Pile atop a bed of arugula, topped with some fresh goat cheese… yum! (Recipe here.)
- They are a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, cancer-fighting antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- They are effective in detoxing the blood and cleansing the colon, due to their detoxifying phytonutrients and fiber.
- Beets have an alkalizing effect, which helps your body to fight disease.
- Apparently, they are an aphrodisiac, but I can’t actually vouch for that.
May and June are a great time to buy fresh locally grown beets! We have them in stores now from Bluebird Meadows Farm and Red’s Quality Acre. The best way to purchase beets is bunched with the green tops still on. This way you can be assured that they are super fresh. And don’t throw those tops in the compost! They can be sautéed and served just as you would swiss chard or spinach.