By Peg Todloski, Weaver Street Market Cheese Merchandiser
This week’s owner coupon is 30% off all cheddar cheeses. Learn more about the coupon below.
Everything is better with cheddar! It must be true because cheddar is THE most popular cheese in the world. In fact, the largest cheese ever made was a 56,850-pound cheddar made in Oregon by the Federation of American Cheese-makers in 1989! At Weaver Street Market, cheddar makes up over 20% of all our cheese sales! Wow!
Cheddar’s popularity is no surprise; it is firm with a creamy texture, and the flavors are pleasantly buttery with aromas of fresh cut hay, a crowd pleaser in any room. As cheddar ages, the texture becomes more crumbly and the flavors more intense with sharp tangy notes, giving us a wide range of textures and flavors to choose from when we’re picking one out.
Cheese is also good for you!
- It’s high in protein. One ounce of cheese contains, on average, 7 grams of protein.
- It’s low in carbs. Cheese has minimal impacts on blood sugar due to its low amount of carbs (usually less than 1 gram) per serving.
- It’s a calcium powerhouse! Cheeses and other dairy products are excellent sources of calcium.
- Cheddar, along with some other well-aged cheeses, is lactose free due in part to the cheese making process.
There are a lot of cheddars in the world! We select quality cheddars to carry in our stores, often working with community-minded producers like the Cabot Creamery Cooperative and Milton Creamery. Such producers are likely to use milk from small family farms in their cheese production, and to maintain high quality standards.
Here are some of our go-to uses for our favorite cheddars–try one (or all) today!
(1) Pair it up! Pair your favorite cheddar with fresh fruit and some nuts for a healthy mid-day snack that’s easy to take on the go! Try Cabot Creamery’s Vermont medium-sharp cheddar with red grapes, or Milton Creamery’s Prairie Breeze cheddar with a crisp tangy apple.
(2) Grill it! There is nothing better than a grilled cheese with a flavorful cheddar! For a classic sandwich use Weaver Street Market’s wonderful bread loaded with lots of Grafton Village two-year cheddar. This cheddar has so much flavor, and the simplicity of this sandwich will let it shine through!
(3) For a more interesting version, try WSM’s La Miche with Grafton Village’s Shallot & White Pepper cheddar. This hearty bread stands up to the savory shallot and pepper notes, and the cheddar’s melty creaminess makes it all come together!
This week’s owner coupon is 30% off all cheddar cheeses, good July 25-August 1, 2018. Owners, look for the coupon in our weekly e-news, sent on Wednesday afternoon. If you didn’t get the coupon, you may need to update your email address in our owner database. Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
Not an owner? Become one today to receive the weekly owner coupon as well as the other benefits of ownership, like invitations to the Co-op Fair, a logo T-shirt and bag, and the right to vote in board elections. Learn more here.