Weaver Street Market Irish Soda Bread for the Home Baker
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 1/2T wheat bran
2t. baking soda
3 T + 1 t. sugar
3/4 t. salt
3 1/2 T frozen unsalted butter
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
1 c. chopped dried fruit (we use equal parts figs, apricots, currants)
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Place oven rack in lower middle position.
2. Measure first six ingredients into food processor fitted with metal blade.
3. Cut frozen butter into cubes and add to dries.
4. Pulse mixture until it resembles course cornmeal.
5. Empty contents into medium bowl and mix in dried fruit.
6. Fold in buttermilk until just incorporated. Dough should be quite sticky but hold together. Add more buttermilk if necessary
7. Empty dough onto floured counter and divide in two.
8. With floured hands and minimal handling, shape into two high mounds and place on greased baking sheet. Loaves will fall some during baking
9. Dust loaves lightly with flour and cut cross pattern in top with a sharp serrated knife.
Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool completely for easy slicing. Enjoy.
All of our profits are returned to owners, donated to our community, or used to strengthen the cooperative. Cooperative businesses are honest, open and fair, behave with integrity, and remain accountable for their actions.