Seared Pepper Ahi Tuna with Cucumber Salad
- 1 medium cucumber*, peeled and sliced into thin round slices
- 1/4 red onion*, chopped
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 8-ounce ahi tuna steaks, about 1 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or a little less)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil (not toasted)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions*
Putting it all together:
1. Mix cucumber, onion, vinegar, and sugar in medium-sized bowl. Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes in refrigerator. Top with sesame seeds when ready to serve.
2. Sprinkle tuna on both sides with salt and pepper, pressing to adhere. Heat sesame oil in a skillet over high/medium-high heat.
Add tuna steaks and sear until brown outside and pink in center, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to plates and keep warm.
3. Add soy sauce and sherry to same skillet. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is slightly reduced (this won't take long). Spoon sauce over steaks and sprinkle with green onions. Serve with cucumber salad.
I recommend serving this with an arugula* salad with a honey*-mustard vinaigrette, topped with avocado* slices and pear*.
* All of the foods with a '*', are reported to work the mojo, so watch out--you may not make it out of the dining room. Love, Wendy