Panzanella's Pumpkin Goat Cheese Cake
This is a delicious fall dessert, currently on the menu at Panzanella.
one baking pumpkin
2 1/2 Pounds goat cheese curd (You can get this from Celebrity Dairy at the Farmers' Market.)
2 1/2 Cups sugar
6 whole eggs
The zest and juice from 2 lemons and 1 orange
1/2 Tsp nutmeg
1/2 Tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
An alternative to Goat Cheese Curd:
1.5 Pounds of Regular Goat Cheese (Chï¿½vre)
8 oz. mascarpone
8 oz. cream cheese
Bringing it all together:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
1. Bake the pumpkin either whole or cut in half until soft all the way through. Scrape out seeds and strings (keep - see roasting instructions below). Scrape out flesh and squeeze out excess water.
2. Soften the cheese at room temperature.
3. With a Mixer (or a heavy hand whip and strong arm) whip the pumpkin flesh, cheese and sugar until smooth.
4. Next, add the eggs, one by one, until thoroughly incorporated. The batter should look smooth, shiny and light. It is important not to over whip, so keep your mixer in second gear.
5. Add the rest of the ingredients.
Put in a spring form pan (the bottom lined with buttered parchment paper) and wrap the outside with saran wrap (or aluminum foil) to create a waterproof seal. Place in a water bath and bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour. When it is done, it will feel delicate but solid.
Serve with fresh whip cream.