Penne with Italian Sausage, Cauliflower & Rosemary
• 2 teaspoons Salt
• 1 pound whole wheat Penne
• 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
• 1 medium yellow Onion, chopped
• 3 links Italian Sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
• 2 sprigs Rosemary, chopped
• 1 head Cauliflower, cut into small florets
• 2 teaspoons red Pepper flakes
• 1 can whole peeled Tomatoes, crushed
• 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water and the salt to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water. Meanwhile, prep all the ingredients.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it's hot and shimmering, add the onions and sausage and stir briefly. Leave the sausage alone to brown for 2 minutes. Stir it again then add the rosemary. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn soft, another 2 minutes.
3. Add the cauliflower and season it with a sprinkling of salt and pepper and the red pepper flakes. Add the tomatoes and a splash of the pasta water and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender, 6-8 minutes.
4. Drain the pasta and toss it with sauce or a minute or so, adding more pasta water if it looks too dry. (There should be just enough liquid in the pan to coat the pasta.) Stir in the Parmesan.