Broccoli, Cheese, and Rice Casserole
Adopted from Casserole Crazy
• 1 head of broccoli (about 2 ½ cups)
• 1 large white onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
• 2 to 3 tablespoons Bella Famiglia Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 cup baby Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped
• ½ lb of Local Grass-fed Ground Beef
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 3 tablespoons flour
• 2 cups milk or half-and-half
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
• 2 cups cooked long grain rice
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Bring a medium pot of water with 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil. Add the chopped broccoli and cook, covered, for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. In the same pot over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil, adding more olive oil as needed, until the onion is translucent.
Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 1 minute, then add the butter. When the butter melts, add the flour and mix quickly and thoroughly. When the butter and flour are fully integrated, slowly add the milk, stirring constantly.
Salt and pepper to taste, reduce the heat to low, and let simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. When the milk mixture is hot, but not boiling, slowly add all but ½ cup of the cheddar cheese, stirring constantly. When the cheese begins to melt, add the rice and stir until everything is thoroughly mixed. Add the broccoli,
salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat, and transfer to a 2 ½-quart baking dish and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
5. Remove from the oven and top with remaining cheese. Bake 5 to 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and golden on top.
6. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.