Eggplant & Chicken Sauté
(Specials run from July 23 - July 29, 2014)
From our Demo Coordinator, Lisa Woodward.
1 Local Organic Eggplant $1.99/lb. save 50¢ - cut into 1" cubes
1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large Sweet Onion, cut into strips
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 lb. Freebird Organic Boneless Chicken Thighs $5.79/lb. save $1 - cut into 1" pieces
3 c. Organic Kale $1.99/bunch save 50¢ - washed, stems removed and torn into small pieces.
1 1/2 c. Pomi Tomatoes $2.69/26 oz. save $1.30
1/4 c. each fresh basil and oregano - roughly chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary - finely chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
1) Place eggplant on paper toweling and sprinkle liberally with salt. Allow to drain for 30 minutes. Gently rinse eggplant and dry well. Set aside.
2) In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
3) When oil is hot, add onion to pan and sauté until translucent then add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté 30 seconds longer.
4) Add chicken to the pan and sauté until chicken is mostly cooked through with a slight bit of pink left.
5) Add kale and eggplant to pan and continue to sauté until eggplant is tender and chicken is fully cooked.
6) Add tomatoes and cook until heated through.
7) Remove from heat and stir in basil, oregano and rosemary.
8) Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired. Serves 4.