Sausage and Pear Stuffed Sweet Dumpling Squash
(Specials run from Wednesday, September 10- Tuesday, September 16, 2014)
From our Demo Coordinator, Lisa Woodward.
4 Local Organic Sweet Dumpling Squash $1.49/lb. save 50¢ - tops cut off and seeds removed
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 Weaver Street Market Bratwurst $5.99/lb. save $1 - removed from casings
2 Organic Bartlett Pears $1.99/lb. save 50¢ - diced
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/4 c. maple syrup plus a little extra for serving.
1/2 c. of bread crumbs
6 leaves fresh sage - chopped
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use one tablespoon of oil to rub a baking sheet and drizzle the inside of the cut squash. Place, cut side down, on baking sheet and bake for about 30 - 40 minutes - or until squash is tender and can be easily pierced with a fork.
2) Use a spoon to scoop out some of the roasted squash - be careful not to pierce the squash shell as you will be using these again. Set both the squash pulp and shells aside.
3) In a sauté pan over medium heat add the remaining olive oil. When hot, add onion to the pan and sauté until translucent.
4) Add bratwurst to pan and sauté - breaking it up as it cooks with the back of a spoon.
5) When sausage if fully cooked, add diced pears, cranberries, maple syrup, bread crumbs, sage and reserved squash pulp to the pan. Stir and allow mixture to heat through completely.
6) Scoop mixture into squash shells. Fill shells very full - mounding the mixture on top.
7) Place back in oven under broiler and broil until tops begin to brown. Drizzle with a little more maple syrup and serve immediately. Serves four.