Rich Man’s Burgers
(with specials starting Wednesday, May 22 thru Tuesday, May 28, 2013)
• 2 pounds of top-quality ground beef (Taste the Season Flyer: Pasture-raised ground beef on sale $4.99/lb, save $1/lb!)
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
¼ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
2 tablespoons capers, drained
2 tablespoons cognac
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 or 3 dashes Zing hot sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
6 fresh-baked hamburger buns (Taste the Season Flyer: WSM burger buns 4-pk on sale $2.25/4-pk, save .40!)
½ cup Béarnaise Mayonnaise (See recipe below)
6 slices ripe tomato
6 leaves Boston lettuce
1. Place the ground beef in a mixing bowl. Add the onion, parsley, capers, cognac, Worcestershire sauce, and Zing sauce. Season generously with salt and pepper. Blend everything together lightly and form the mixture into six patties.
2. Add the burgers to the grill and cook to preference.
3. While the burgers cook, toast the buns.
4. Spread a tablespoon of Béarnaise Mayonnaise on the bottom half of each bun. Add the burger, a slice of tomato, a lettuce leaf, and the top of the bun. Serve immediately.
•4 teaspoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons dried tarragon, crushed
¼ cup minced shallots
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1 ½ cups prepared mayonnaise
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Combine the vinegar and dried tarragon in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to soak.
2. Stir in the shallots and fresh tarragon. Whisk in the mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Makes about 1 ½ cups.
(adapted from Celebrate: Cookbook, by Shelia Lukins)
This burger is pure luxury. It has all the extras of steak tartare and is worthy of any special occasion. Great with a dollop of Béarnaise Mayonnaise.