These nuts were made by our demo staff to celebrate National Bulk Foods Week in October. They used pecans from our bulk bins. You can also use local Indian Springs pecnas that arrive in our stores in the fall from Tim Haithcock's orchard in eastern NC.
2 tbsp. oil or melted butter
1 large egg white (or 2 small)
1 tbps. water
3 cups nuts of your choice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon dried ground orange peel
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Coat baking sheet with oil or butter.
- In bowl whisk together egg whites and water until frothy.
- Add nuts to bowl and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl mix together cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, orange peel, cardamom, salt and brown sugar.
- Sprinkle over nuts and toss again until all nuts are coated.
- Pour nuts into single layer on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn nuts once midway through cooking so that both sides brown evenly.
- Serve warm or store in airtight container for one week.