Try this different twist on traditional beef stew. Tender local beef, tart and sweet cara cara navel oranges,
and beautiful ruby red peppers are combined to create a savory, citrus-y beef stew that is sure to please. Serve by itself or over rice or pasta. This recipe contains items on sale February 14 through 20, 2018.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs. local Weaver Meats pasture raised stew beef, cubed – Sale $7.49/lb. – Save $1.50
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large organic red pepper, cut into strips – Sale $2.99/lb. – Save $1.00
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 c. beef broth
- ½ c. dry red wine
- 1 organic cara cara navel orange, with rind (no white pith) peeled into two-inch strips, and insides juiced – Sale $1.99/lb. – Save $1.00
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 spring fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
1) In a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium heat, add olive oil and heat until shimmering.
2) Add cubes of stew beef and sauté until browned on all sides. Remove beef from the pan and set aside.
3) Add onions and peppers to the drippings left in the pan. Sauté until softened and beginning to brown slightly. Remove from pan and set aside.
4) Add garlic to the pan and sauté for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
5) Add reserved browned stew beef, beef broth, red wine, four two-inch strips of orange peel, and tomato paste to the pan. Reduce heat, cover pot, and cook over medium-low heat until beef is tender.
6) Once beef is tender, add reserved onions and peppers, orange juice, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, and salt. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 10 more minutes or so until liquids have reduced some. Check for seasoning and serve.