Make the most of our summer bounty with this terrific recipe! Roasted heirloom tomatoes make a delicious side dish for any meat, or just enjoy them by themselves. Roasted in the oven and then stuffed with a creamy, rich cheese and toasted bread crumbs. Simple and absolutely delightful! This recipe includes items on sale July 19-25, 2017.
- 1 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
- 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 medium-size heirloom tomatoes, cored – Sale $3.99/lb. – Save $1.00
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces Fromage d’Affinois (removed from rind) – Weekend Deal $7.99/lb. – Save 47%
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1) Melt butter or heat olive oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat, and once heated add breadcrumbs and stir until crumbs are mostly browned. Add garlic to the pan and continue to sauté until crumbs are evenly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
2) Slice a sliver off the bottom of the tomatoes so they stand upright. Carefully cut a circle in the top of the tomato to remove the core. Use a spoon to gently hollow out the center of the tomato, still leaving a 1/2 inch of flesh around the sides.
3) Place the tomatoes in a baking dish, drizzle with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and roast for 25-30 minutes until they’ve just started to shrivel but still hold their shape.
4) Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Pour out any excess liquid that accumulated inside the tomato cavity while roasting.
5) In a bowl combine Fromage d’Affinois and thyme. Spoon equal amounts into each tomato and then top with reserved toasted breadcrumbs. Serve while still warm. Serves 3.