Trusted Quality, Locally Sourced, For the Community, and By the Community are the foundation of what we do today and guide our plans for the future.
Trusted Quality means that Weaver Street Market carefully curates our selection to ensure everything we sell is fresh, healthy, and sustainable. Our goal is for you to pick out any single item and trust that it will be good for you, your family, and the environment.
- “The choices are already vetted. I could practically close my eyes and pick something off the shelf and know it’s going to be good for me.”*
- “I trust Weaver Street to stock sustainable, local and organic produce and goods from companies and farms that care about their product and workers.”
Locally Sourced means Weaver Street Market partners with independent producers in our own backyard and those around the world who share our values. We form lasting relationships to bring the best products from their communities to share with ours.
- “The produce [at Weaver Street] is fresh, lasts longer since it does not have to travel, supports our local economy, and it tastes great.”
- “I’ve met the people who make the pickles and jams, and Charles Soap made in NC. I like to buy as close to home as possible.”
For the Community means Weaver Street Market is more than simply the place where we buy our food. Each Weaver Street Market store strengthens the bonds within our communities. In the past year, our consumer and worker owners helped us broaden our community connections and come a step closer to ensuring that we all have enough good food to eat.
- Our Food House staff hosts field trips for students, who participate in hands-on activities like experimenting with reduced-sugar cookies and shaping whole wheat pretzels.
- Our shoppers round up their transactions to support local hunger relief programs. In the 2018 fiscal year, they rounded up 682,120 times to raise $310,405, which was used to purchase food (at cost) for low income families, school children, and food banks.
- “Makes my day better when the employees in the store remember you and care about you. That positive energy is felt by everyone and makes for a much better shopping experience when there is so much negativity out in the world. Sense of community is so rare these days.”
By the Community means that Weaver Street Market is a co-op, owned by its members and employees. When we’re successful, everyone at Weaver Street and in the community benefits.
- In the past year made co-op ownership more accessible by reducing the share amount to $75 for all households. This fall we will implement a no-cost share for qualified low-income households.
- “Number one is our economic impact on the area we serve, emphasizing to the best of our ability locally grown/made/sourced products, produce, and material, which multiplies the local effect of the customer’s purchases.”
- “We strive first and foremost to better our communities. While making a profit as a business is essential, it’s not our only priority.”
Thank you for sharing the journey of creating a marketplace at the center of thriving community!
*Quotes from Weaver Street Market employees and customers