Volunteering your time is a rewarding way to contribute to the crucial work of our local hunger relief organizations. Our Community Food Partners all rely on volunteers to help collect, sort, bag, and deliver the thousands of pounds of food needed to feed the food-insecure children and families served by their programs. It takes hundreds of volunteers to meet the daily, weekly, and monthly commitments of these organizations to provide hunger relief in our community. Weaver Street Market encourages our owners and shoppers to volunteer. Most likely, you’ll see old friends and make new ones!
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
A Place at the Table
A Place at the Table relies on volunteers to help in almost every activity at the cafe. For volunteer information, visit https://tableraleigh.org/volunteer/ or contact Emily Weidman, Manager of Engagement, at email@example.com.
Inter-Faith Council, Carrboro
The Inter-Faith Council offers a number of volunteer opportunities. For a volunteer application or additional information, visit http://www.ifcweb.org/volunteer or contact the Community Engagement Director at 919-929-6380, x2026.
- Stock, sort, and donate donations
- IFC especially needs volunteers who can lift heavier items
- There are three-hour shifts in the AM and PM
- Pick up donations from grocery stores and bring to IFC’s locations
Meals on Wheel Orange County, NC (MOWOCNC)
Meals on Wheels Orange County, NC relies on a volunteer staff of 400 to help with packing, deliveries, and check-in visits and calls. Learn about all volunteer opportunities at https://www.mowocnc.org/volunteer.
Neighborfood Express currently needs volunteer drivers. All deliveries are made on Saturday mornings, and they typically take 30-45 minutes to complete. Anyone interested in volunteering can learn more here: https://neighborfoodexpress.org/volunteer.
Orange Congregations in Mission, Hillsborough
Orange Congregation in Mission needs volunteers for its food pantry and its Meals on Wheels program. OCIM facilities are located at 300 Millstone Drive, Hillsborough. For additional information, contact Kay at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The current volunteer shifts are as follows:
Meals on Wheels Drivers
- Monday-Friday, pick up meals 10:30-11 AM, routes take about 1 hour. Volunteers use their own cars.
Substitutes for Food Pantry Shifts
- Monday-Friday, shifts are 9 AM-1 PM and 1-5 PM. Receive donations and pack orders for recipients.
PORCH Chapel Hill-Carrboro
Collecting, Sorting and Delivering Food, Chapel Hill and Carrboro. Learn more about all volunteer opportunities at https://chapelhill.porchcommunities.org/volunteer/.
Regular volunteer opportunities include:
- Serving as a coordinator for monthly food drives in your neighborhood
- Receiving, sorting, weighing, and shelving neighborhood donations of nonperishable food
- Packing both fresh and nonperishable food boxes for distribution at Orange County Schools and within underserved neighborhoods
- Taking data from clients and loading cars at community food distributions
- Lending your foreign language, social media, photography/videography, grant writing, or other special skills to our programs
TABLE, Carrboro, Chapel Hill
Volunteers are vital in helping us effectively serve the families on our roster. Our volunteer activities are open to individuals or groups and we have opportunities for adults and children of all ages. Shifts are available Monday through Thursday (both evenings and daytimes) and occasional weekends. Typical activities include packing bags of food, sorting through donations & delivering food door-to-door to kids in Orange County. Learn more on our website https://tablenc.org/get-involved/ or contact our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com
Piedmont Farm Tour (April)
Each year, over one hundred volunteers make the Piedmont Farm Tour possible by greeting visitors at farms and explaining the tour procedures. About two months before the tour (which is the fourth weekend in April), the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association puts out a call for volunteers, who can choose from the available farms. Farm Tour volunteers receive a free t-shirt and tour button to use on the other day of the tour. Learn more and sign up at https://www.carolinafarmstewards.org/ft-volunteer/.