Saint Patrick’s Day is nearly here again and along with it comes a delicious opportunity to enjoy cabbage. Cabbage, you say? Isn’t cabbage a boring and uninspiring veggie? No! we say. Cabbage can be deeply delicious and mouthwatering if you sauté it with savory onions and then braise it in a wonderful dark beer. This recipe will convince you that cabbage truly deserves its place on the plate. Enjoy it alongside your corned beef this year.
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 1 head of cabbage, cut into small pieces
- 1 c. dark beer of your choice
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Add butter and olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
2) When butter is melted and sizzling, add onion to the pan and sauté until translucent.
3) Add cabbage, beer, salt, and pepper to the pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until cabbage is tender. Stir occasionally during cooking time.
4) Remove lid and return heat to medium high and cook until liquids have all reduced and cabbage is browning. Check for seasoning and serve.