Our Feed a Family of Four for $10 recipe this week uses convenient, easy, and delicious A Dozen Cousins Cuban Black Beans and Classic Refried Pinto Beans, Field Day Salsa, rice and fresh lime juice to make a hearty Black Bean and Rice Soup.
- Long Grain Organic Rice @$.53 ($1.99 pound)
- Field Day Garlic Powder @ $.15 ($4.49 2.5 oz. jar)
- Field Day Onion Powder @$.21 ($4.99 2.3 oz. jar)
- Field Day Cumin @$.23 ($4.49 1.7 oz. jar)
- A Dozen Cousins Cuban Black Beans @ $3.69 ($3.69 each)
- A Dozen Cousins Classic Refried Pinto Beans @ $3.69 ($3.69 each)
- Field Day Salsa 16 oz. @ $1.85 ($3.69 16 oz. jar)
TOTAL: (not including pantry items) = $9.82
- Organic Lime @ $.43 ($2.99 a pound)
TOTAL: (not including pantry items) = $.43
FINAL TOTAL FOR MEAL (not including pantry items): $10.78
Pantry Items (Not included in cost):
- Olive oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 c. long grain organic rice
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 package A Dozen Cousins Cuban Black Beans
- 1 package A Dozen Cousins Classic Refried Pinto Beans
- 1/2 jar Field Day Salsa
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Water – depending upon how thick you want your soup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook rice per package directions, season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Heat until shimmering.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin, stir quickly in oil until fragrant.
- Add both types of beans and salsa to pot and stir to combine.
- Add lime zest and juice.
- Add water, stirring continuously, until soup is as thick or thin as you want it to be.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until soup is heated through.
- Check for seasoning and add salt and/or pepper as needed.
- Serve soup, in a bowl, with a half a cup of rice on top.