Emily in our marketing office came up with this recipe to have a reason to buy more beans from the bulk bins. She also wanted it to require minimal effort. It’s pretty simple, so you can tailor it to your own taste or scale to make more servings. Serves 4 to 6.
- 1 pint of dry beans and/or lentils
- 1 can of tomatoes (plain or pick your favorite flavor)
- 1 onion or a bunch of green onions
- spices: salt, peppers, rosemary, thyme, all-purpose spice mix, brewer’s yeast, bay leaves (use more than you think)
1) Rinse and strain beans and lentils.
2) Add 6 cups water and bring to a boil. Careful! It will foam and bubble over.
3) Turn off heat and wait one hour.
4) Rinse and drain the beans and lentils.
5) Add 7 cups water and the other ingredients
6) Simmer until beans are soft, 1 to 3 hours depending on the size of your beans.