We went looking for brocc-spiration when Carolyn scored a great deal on organic broccoli: 99 cents per pound this weekend only (May 11-13, 2018). We found this tart recipe over at Cabot Creamery’s website; we’ve adjusted it for fresh broccoli. (View the original recipe here.) It makes about 20 hors d’oeuvres. Why not serve them for Mother’s Day?
- About 2 c. finely chopped broccoli
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cold from refrigerator
- 4 oz. Cabot sharp cheddar, grated (about 1 c.)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 pie crusts (we sell them in our freezer)
1) Place rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 450°F.
2) Steam the broccoli until hot and tender.
3) Mix the broccoli and cream cheese; stir until cream cheese is softened and completely blended with broccoli. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
4) Add cheddar, green onions, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; stir until combined.
5) Place one pie crust on large ungreased baking sheet. Place broccoli mixture in center, spreading to within ½ inch of edge.
6) Moisten bare edge of crust with water. Top with second crust and press edges together with tines of fork to seal. Prick or cut design in top crust.
7) Bake tart for 12 to 18 minutes or until nicely browned on top and underside. Let cool for 10 minutes, then cut into about 20 wedges. Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of Cabot Creamery. View more Cabot recipes at https://www.cabotcheese.coop/recipes.