A favorite on our food bars and now yours to make at home!
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 3 lbs. boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1″ pieces, patted dry
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 poblano, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 green peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sea salt and more if needed, to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 lbs. tomatillos, roasted until soft, drained and then pureed
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. cilantro chopped
- Heat a heavy bottom pot over medium high heat.
- Add the oil and when it is hot, add chicken and sear until mostly cooked through.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the onions and peppers and cook, covered, until onions and peppers are softened.
- Add garlic, salt, cumin, and chili powder, stir and cook 2 minutes.
- Add pureed tomatillos and lower heat to low. Simmer on low for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine heavy cream and cornstarch and whisk until cornstarch is dissolved. Add to chicken mixture.
- Bring to simmer and add cilantro. Check for seasoning and add more salt if needed.