Our Demo Team created this recipe as part of their healthy recipe makeovers. By using butternut squash to thicken the cheese sauce, they’ve made a healthy and delicious mac and cheese.
- ½ onion
- 1 small butternut squash – Sale $1.49/lb. – Save $.50
- 2 tsp. Riojana Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Sale $9.99/26 oz. – Save $3.00
- 1 lb. Chickapea Organic Chickpea Lenti Pasta, cooked per package directions – Sale $ 3.00/8oz. – Save $1.99
- ½ c. Belgioioso Asiago, shredded – Sale $6.99/lb. – Save $1.00
- 2 c. McAdam New York Sharp Cheddar, shredded – Sale $6.99/lb. – Save $2.00
- 2/3 c. 1% milk
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Peel onion and cut into chunks. Cut butternut squash in half, remove seeds and place cut side down on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle onions around squash and drizzle veggies with oil. Place in oven and bake until squash is easily pierced with a fork.
3) When squash is cooked, cool slightly, and then scoop squash from skin. Place squash and onions in a blender or food processor and puree.
4) In a large pot, over medium heat, combine squash/onion puree and milk.
5) When heated, slowly add cheese to puree stirring until cheese is melted. If it is too thick, slowly add more milk a couple of tablespoons at a time until it is the consistency you desire. You want a cheese sauce consistency.
6) Stir in mustard, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.
7) Add cooked pasta and stir to combine. Check seasoning and adjust as needed. Serves 6 to 8.