Liz, our Food House kitchen manager, shared her go-to collards recipe when we were collecting recipes for food pantry clients to use with the fresh produce provided by our Round Up campaign. Here it is:
- bunch of collards
- oil (or bacon, chicken fat, etc.)
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 tsp. of salt or seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp of vinegar (any kind)
1) Chop collards and soak in a sink of fresh cold water; drain.
2) Saute a sliced onion in oil or with a couple strips of chopped bacon, chicken fat, or any seasoning meat.
3) Add 1/2 cup water per bunch of collards, and stir around in pot.
4) Add the rest of the ingredients.
5) Cover and cook for an hour on medium low, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed. Cool and enjoy. Better the next day!