Our bacon buyer, Carolyn, shared this recipe. She notes, “You can add any type of veggie you wish to this, just saute along with the peppers and onions. Broccoli and mushrooms are great candidates. Or you can omit the Italian herbs and add a can of chopped chili peppers and chopped cilantro for a southwestern flair!”
- ½ Tbsp. ghee, butter, or avocado oil, divided
- 1 c. red bell pepper, diced
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 10 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed, excess water squeezed out
- A pinch each of red pepper flakes, dried oregano, and dried basil
- 4 to 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 10 eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. each salt and fresh ground pepper
- ½ c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare an 8×8 casserole by rubbing half the oil or butter all over the inside of the pan.
- Melt the other half of the butter or oil to a medium saute pan and add the onions, peppers, red pepper flakes, and herbs. Saute until tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, whisk the eggs, sour cream, water, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl.
- When the veggies are tender, add them to the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Layer the spinach on top, then add the egg mixture. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 40 to 50 mins at 350F or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean and top is just starting to brown.