Try this traditional and delicious recipe from one of our pastry team members, Esteban.
- 3 lbs. whole chicken breasts
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 white onions, sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp. Dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. Black pepper (more to taste)
- 1 whole chipotle pepper in 2 tablespoons of adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- Corn tostadas
- Shredded lettuce
- Queso Fresco
- Refried Beans
- Avocado slices
- Place chicken, bay leaf, ½ of one onion and salt in a pot. Add enough water to cover.
- Cook for about 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Set aside to cool and then shred chicken.
- Place the tomatoes in a pot and cover with water. Turn heat to medium and let tomatoes cook for about 10 minutes (of until peels can be easily pulled from tomato.) Allow them to cool and then remove the skin.
- In a blender, combine tomatoes, garlic, ½ of one onion, oregano, thyme, black pepper, chipotle pepper, and adobe sauce. Puree. Add a little water, if needed, to thin sauce.
- In a sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat and add remaining onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add chicken and sauce to pan and stir to combine. Allow to simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes over low heat.
- Serve on tostadas that have been spread with the refried beans and topped with the chicken mixture, lettuce, cheese, and avocados.