- 1 cup Organic Tricolor Quinoa @ $1.38 – Provides protein!
- 1 medium Organic Sweet Potato @ $1.25 – Lots of Beta Carotene!
- 1 medium Organic Vidalia Onion @ $1.20 – Terrific Flavor!
- 1 bunch Organic Green Kale – will only use about 1/4 of it @$.75 – Daily dose of Greens!
- 3 Latta Farms Medium Brown Eggs @$.60 – Extra Protein!
- 1 pound loose green beans @$2.49 – Great Fiber!
- 1 head Organic Red Cabbage – will use a little less than half @$1.34 – Full of Vitamins and minerals!
Total Cost (not including pantry items) = $9.01 – Feeds a family of Four
Pantry Items (not included in cost)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Olive Oil (or your choice of oil)
- 1/3 cup vinegar (your choice of type)
- 1/4 cup cane sugar (or your choice sweetener)
Recipe for Crispy Quinoa and Sweet Potato Cakes
- 2 c. Organic Tricolor Quinoa, cooked
- 2 c. shredded Organic sweet potato
- 1 c. shredded Organic Vidalia onion
- 2 c. chopped Organic Green Kale
- ½ c. flour
- 3 Latta Farms Medium Brown Eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil for frying
- In a large bowl combine: cooked quinoa, shredded sweet potato, shredded onion, and chopped kale. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetable and toss to coat well.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Pour eggs into vegetable mixture.
- Add 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper and stir until everything is evenly combined.
- Scoop out even sized portions and use your hands to make patties.
- In a sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high until shimmering and hot, add patties to the pan and fry until browned. Flip and brown the other side as well.
- Remove from the pan and place on a cooling rack to drain.
- Cook remaining patties the same way, adding oil and allowing it to become hot before adding next batch. Serve while hot.
- Serve with sweet and sour beans and red cabbage
Sweet and Sour Green Beans and Red Cabbage
- 1 lb. Green Beans
- 3 tbsp. Olive Oil
- ½ Organic Vidalia Onion, chopped
- 3 c. shredded Organic Red Cabbage
- 1/4 c. vinegar
- ¼ c. sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the green beans in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until beans are tender, but still reasonably firm. Remove from water and run beans under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set them aside.
- In a sauté pan, add olive oil and heat over medium-high until shimmering and hot. Add onion to the pan and sauté until translucent.
- Add the cabbage to the pan and sauté until slightly tender.
- Add the green beans back to the pan, reduce the heat to medium and add the vinegar, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper to the pan. Cover and allow to cook until for 1 to 2 minutes – or until your desired level of tenderness.
- Remove cover, increase heat, and sauté until liquids have reduced and coated the vegetables.
- Check for seasoning and serve alongside Quinoa and Sweet Potato Cakes while hot.