This Feed a Family of Four for $10.00 recipe is chock full of protein packed garbanzos, fresh green beans and tons of flavor! Hearty yet healthy, this recipe is a great meal for all families and all eating styles! Vegan? Swap the honey for maple syrup. Gluten Free? Swap the soy sauce for coconut aminos.
- 1 small orange @ $1.00
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger @ $.04
- 1 lb. fresh green beans @ $2.49
- 2 green onions @ $.50
- 2 cans Field Day Garbanzo Beans 15oz. @ $2.98
- 1/4 c. San-J Tamari Sauce @ $.70
- 1 tsp. Field Day garlic powder @ $.17
- Dash Field Day cayenne @ $.03
- 1 c. uncooked Field Day Organic Brown Rice @ $1.07
- 2 tbsp. Organic Wildflower Honey @ $.66
- 1 1/2 c. Florida Naturals Orange Juice 52oz @ $.91
Total Cost (not including pantry items) = $10.55 – Feeds a family of Four
Pantry Items Needed (not included in cost)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Zest and juice from one orange
- 1 1/2 c. orange juice
- 1/4 c. tamari sauce
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 lb. steamed green beans
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Dash cayenne powder, or to taste
- 2 c. cooked brown rice
- 2 green onions, chopped, both white and green parts
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add garbanzo beans and toss until any remaining liquids have cooked off and the beans are dry.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add olive oil. Sauté for a few seconds.
- Add both fresh and bottled orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, honey, garlic powder, and ginger to the pan. Sauté continuously until sauce is somewhat thickened and is coating the beans.
- Add steamed green beans to the pan and toss to combine and coat with sauce.
- Check for seasoning and add salt, pepper and cayenne as desired or needed.
- Portion brown rice into four bowls, top with glazed garbanzo beans, and a sprinkle of green onions. Serve while hot.