Ring in a wonderful New Year with this traditional dish. Collards and black-eyed peas are cooked with onions, garlic, and a little bit of spice and topped with a sprinkle of crunchy bacon. Leave of the bacon for a tasty vegan dish. This recipe contains items on sale December 28, 2016 through January 3, 2017.
- 4 strips Plainville Farms Pork Bacon, cooked crisp, crumbled, and set aside – Sale $3.49/8 oz – Save $1.00
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bunch collards, chopped into strips (about 5 cups raw) – Sale $2 for $3.00 – Save $1.98
- 1 tsp.salt
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 14 oz. cooked black-eyed peas (about 2 cups)
1) In a large pot with a lid, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until onion is translucent.
2) Add half the chopped greens, salt, red pepper, bay leaf, vinegar, sugar, and water and stir. Add more greens as they continue to wilt until all have been added. Stir each time.
3) Then add the peas, cover, and reduce heat to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, checking occasionally and adding more water if necessary.
4) Serve in a bowl topped with crumbled bacon. Serves 4 to 6.