- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. green onions, chopped
- 1/4 c. orange preserves
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 or 2 pomegrantes
- 1/2 c. pecans, chopped
- 3 sage leaves, chopped
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, shredded cheese, green onions, orange preserves, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine and break up any clumps of cream cheese. Set aside.
- Over a plate, remove the arils (seeds) from the pomegrante by scoring the pomegranate around the center and twisting to break it in half. Lay pomegranate cut side down and squeeze each half to loosen the seeds. Hold each half cut side down over the plate and “slap” the top of the pomegranate with a wooden spoon to knock the seeds out. Continue to do this until all seeds have come out. Wrap the seeds in several layers of paper towels and allow them to drain. Set aside.
- In a dry saute pan, over medium heat< add the chopped pecans and cook until fragrant and slightly browned, toss several times while cooking to avoid burning. Add pecans to cream cheese mixture.
- Chop sage leaves fine and add to cream cheese mixture. Stir again to combine.
- Use a large scoop to make balls from the cream cheese mixture. Place them in the refrigerator to set slightly.
- Place some of the seeds in a shallow bowl and place a cheeseball in the center. Wash your hands (so that you don’t get cheese on the pomegranate seeds) and then use your hands to press pomegrante seeds onto the sides and top of the cheeseball. Cover all of the ball as best you can. Repeat with all the cheeseballs. Place cheeseballs in the refrigerator to chill.
- Serve with crackers or crusty bread.