Our annual Hope for the Holidays campaign raised $13,055.75!
What Is Hope for the Holidays?
Since 1998, Hope for the Holidays has paired fund-raising and gift giving during December: we make a donation each time you buy a Hope for the Holidays product. We choose some of our favorite products, like local poinsettias and toffee, and fair trade chocolate bars.
The funds raised add to our Cooperative Community Fund, a sustainable endowment fund. Each year, a committee awards grants that are paid from the interest that the fund generates. The grants go to local nonprofits working on access to healthy food. Last year’s grants helped fund the following:
- PORCH Chapel Hill-Carrboro’s “PORCH Cooks” educational program. PORCH Cooks aims to increase consumption of fresh foods by providing nutrition education and recipes to help families participating in the Food for Families (FFF) program.
- The Inter-Faith Council’s new “member choice” model for the new Food Pantry. The grant funds purchased convertible hand trucks to facilitate the efficient stocking of fresh food and grocery carts to provide a more dignified and convenient shopping experience.
- The Farm at Penny Lane expanded its Farm-to-Home Produce Pack program. The program provides boxes of fresh healthy produce to client-patients of the Center for Excellence in Community Mental Health. Grant funds will pay construction costs to build a walk-in cold storage space.
How Did We Do?
- 200 wheels of Chapel Hill Creamery’s Carolina Moon,
- 347 local poinsettias,
- 359 jars of Two Chicks pepper jelly,
- 394 jars of Fiddlehead Farm preserves,
- 582 bags of Peacestachios,
- 872 loaves of WSM stollen,
- 1582 WSM quick breads,
- 4136 bottles of fair trade Riojana or Moncaro wine,
- 5510 boxes of Chapel Hill and Griff’s toffee,
- 6181 fair trade Equal Exchange chocolate bars,
With this addition, the CCF has $291,638 generating interest to fund projects in our community! Thanks for your support!