Our annual Hope for the Holidays campaign raised $12,554.50!
What Is Hope for the Holidays?
Since 1998, Hope for the Holidays has paired fund-raising and gift giving during December: we make a donation each time you buy a Hope for the Holidays product. We choose some of our favorite products, like local poinsettias and pecans, and fair trade chocolate bars.
The funds raised add to our Cooperative Community Fund, a sustainable endowment fund. Each year, a committee awards grants that are paid from the interest that the fund generates. The grants go to local nonprofits working on access to healthy food. Last year’s grants helped fund the following:
- freezers and shelves for Chapel Hill Carrboro Meals on Wheels,
- equipment for Frank Porter Graham Bilingue Elementary School’s “Garden Cooking & Education” program,
- a produce storage station for Orange Congregations in Mission, and
- materials for the Container Gardening Program for Refugee Women piloted by Church World Service, to empower participants to grow their own vegetables at home.
How Did We Do?
- 262 local poinsettias,
- 330 jars of Two Chicks pepper jelly,
- 652 bags of Peacestachios,
- 758 pounds of NC pecans,
- 3082 bottles of Riojana wine,
- 937 loaves of WSM stollen,
- 1371 WSM quick breads,
- 4689 fair trade Equal Exchange chocolate bars,
- 4938 boxes of Chapel Hill and Griff’s toffee,
- and more!
With this addition, the CCF has over $261,000 generating interest to fund projects in our community! Thanks for your support!