Our demo team makes this recipe in March. It’s the perfect warm treat in the last cold, rainy days of winter.
- 4 medium to large potatoes, diced
- 3 c. green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 2 c. chopped green onion, white and green parts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/2 c. cream
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- extra butter and sour cream, optional
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss potatoes and cabbage with olive oil and spread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and cabbage are tender and beginning to brown slightly.
2) Meanwhile, in a saute pan, melt butter over medium heat and cook onions until softened. Add garlic and cook one minute longer. Turn off heat and allow onions to cool slightly. Add cream to pan and stir, scraping the bottom to loosen any browned bits.
3) Once potatoes and cabbage are cooked, move to large pot or bowl, being sure to include any browned bits from the baking sheet. Pour onion and cream mixture over potateos. Add nutmeg. Using potato masher, mash potatoes and cabbage, leaving mixture lumpy. Check seasoning and add extra salt and pepper if needed.
4) Serve hot, topped with more butter and sour cream, if you choose. Serves 4 to 6.