Hearty and healthy meatballs served atop greens and rice. The ingredients for this recipe cost about $10.53, and it serves a family of four (that’s only $2.63 per serving!). Drizzled with a tangy mustard sauce, it’s sure to become your new family favorite recipe. Our demo team will be making it in stores this weekend. Includes items on sale October 3-9, 2018.
- 1/2 onion, minced – $.33 ($1.99 lb.)
- ½ green pepper, small diced – $.30 ($1.99 lb.)
- 1 lb. Freebird organic boneless chicken thighs, finely chopped or ground – Sale $3.79 lb.
- 1 can Field Day canned black beans, drained and roughly chopped – $1.15/can
- ½ tsp. granulated garlic – $.04 ($11.99/lb.)
- 1 egg – $.18 ($2.19/dozen)
- 3/4 c. bulk rolled oats – $.15 ($.89/lb.)
- ¼ c. Field Day stone ground mustard – $.50 ($1.99/8oz.)
- 3 Tbsp. honey – $.71 ($4.99/lb.)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil – in your pantry
- 1 bunch green kale, chopped – $2.49/bunch
- 2 c. cooked organic medium grain brown rice – $.89 ($1.79 lb.)
- salt and pepper – in your pantry
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While oven is heating, in a saute pan, saute onion and green pepper until onions are translucent. Set aside to cool. Save pan to use later.
2) In a large bowl, using your hands, gently mix together chopped chicken, oats, beans, garlic, egg, and cooled onions and peppers.
3) Make 1½ inch balls out of mixture and place them on a greased baking sheet.
6) Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through.
7) In a small bowl combine mustard and honey and set aside.
7) In the saved sauté pan, add olive oil. Once heated add kale and sauté until tender crisp. Add cooked rice and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
8) To serve, split kale and rice mixture between four bowls, top with meatballs, and drizzle with mustard sauce. Serve.
Total cost for meal for four: $10.53 – $2.63 per serving.