- 2 cloves garlic, minced @$.17
- Juice of 1 large lemon @$.75
- ½ c. chopped cilantro @ $1.24
- ½ c. chopped plum tomatoes @$1.50
- ½ c. chopped red onion @$1.00
- ½ tsp. Field Day garlic powder @ $.08
- ½ tsp. Field Day onion powder @ $.11
- ½ tsp. Field Day paprika @ $.08
- 1 c. tri-color quinoa, uncooked @$.77
- 2 pounds Freebird bone-in chicken thighs @ $5.18
Total Cost (not including pantry items) = $10.88 – Feeds a family of Four
Pantry Items (not included in cost)
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 lb. Freebird bone-in chicken thighs
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. bulk garlic powder
- ½ tsp. bulk onion powder
- ½ tsp. bulk paprika
Directions (for chicken):
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken thighs and on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic Powder, and paprika.
- Roast, about 30 minutes or until juices run clear, turning once. Remove from pan and set aside when tender crisp.
- Allow to cool. Once cool enough to handle, pull chicken from the bone and shred. Refrigerate.
- 2 c. water
- 1 c. bulk tri-color quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/8 c. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ c. chopped cilantro
- ½ c. chopped plum tomatoes
- ½ c. chopped red onion
Directions (to finish salad):
- In a medium-sized pot, bring water to a boil (add bouillon and/or salt if desired). Meanwhile, thoroughly wash quinoa in a sieve or in a bowl of water till water is clear. Drain quinoa and add to boiling water. Stir to separate grains. Bring water and quinoa back to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 15 to 18 minutes or until water is absorbed or mostly absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together garlic and lemon juice. Pour olive oil into lemon mixture in a SLOW stream, whisking continuously until combined. Set aside.
- Check quinoa to make sure water is absorbed and remove from heat. Let sit 3 to 5 minutes. Pour lemon dressing into hot quinoa and stir gently to coat grains. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer quinoa to a bowl and chill. Once chilled, add reserved shredded chicken, cilantro, tomatoes, and red onion. Toss to combine.
Makes 4 servings.