Our demo team used this recipe in their monthly demo series, Feed a Family of Four for $10. It’s a protein-packed summer dinner salad featuring quinoa, chicken, and fresh veggies in a delicious lemony vinaigrette. Serve with a side of roasted carrots for an easy dinner. Leftovers of this salad are delicious—so make a double batch! Make it without the chicken for a super side dish.
Ingredients (to make chicken):
- 4 Freebird bone-in chicken thighs – $3.00 at $1.99 a pound
- bag Bunny Luv baby carrots – $1.99 each
- salt and pepper to taste – pantry
- ½ tsp. bulk garlic powder – $.07 at $1.37 an ounce
- ½ tsp. bulk onion powder – $.05 at $1.31 an ounce
- ½ tsp. bulk paprika – $.05 at $1.25 an ounce
Directions (for chicken):
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Place chicken thighs and carrots on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic
Powder, and paprika.
3) Roast, about 30 minutes or until juices run clear, turning once. Carrots may be done before chicken.
Remove from pan and set aside when tender crisp.
4) Allow to cool. Once cool enough to handle, pull chicken from the bone and shred. Set carrots aside to
serve with salad. Refrigerate both.
- 2 c. water (seasoned with bouillon and/or salt from your pantry)
- 1 c. bulk tri-color quinoa, uncooked – $1.25 at $2.99 a pound
- 2 cloves garlic, minced – $.05 at $6.99 a pound
- Juice of 1 1/2 lemons – $1.12 at $2.99 a pound
- 1/8 c. extra virgin olive oil – pantry
- ½ c. chopped cilantro – $1.25 at $2.49 a bunch
- ½ c. chopped plum tomatoes – $.75 at $2.99 a pound
- ½ c. chopped red onion – $.33 at $1.99 a pound
Directions (to finish salad):
1) In a medium-sized pot, bring water to a boil (add bouillon and/or salt if desired). Meanwhile, thoroughly wash quinoa in a sieve or in a bowl of water till water is clear. Drain quinoa and add to boiling water. Stir to separate grains. Bring water and quinoa back to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 15 to 18 minutes or until water is absorbed or mostly absorbed.
2) Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together garlic and lemon juice. Pour olive oil into lemon mixture in a SLOW stream, whisking continuously until combined. Set aside.
3) Check quinoa to make sure water is absorbed and remove from heat. Let sit 3 to 5 minutes. Pour lemon dressing into hot quinoa and stir gently to coat grains. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer quinoa to a bowl and chill. Once chilled, add reserved shredded chicken, cilantro, tomatoes, and red onion. Toss to combine.
4) Gently re-heat carrots. Serve alongside salad.
Makes 4 servings for $9.91 ($2.47 per person).