Our next Feed a Family of Four for $10 recipe is a tasty mixture of lentils cooked with meaty mushroom and lots of delicious aromatics to create a savory pot pie filling. Topped with our own Weaver-made flaky crust and baked until golden brown and bubbly, it’s a sure-fire way to warm the heart of your family – and your wallet! (Prices were determined on February 12, 2019.)
- ½ c. bulk French lentils – $.50 at $1.99 a pound
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil – pantry item
- 2 c. diced potatoes – $.99 at $.99 a pound
- 2 c. diced carrots – $.40 at $1.99 per 2 pound bag
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced – $2.99/8 oz.
- 2 c. chopped leek – $1.74 at $3.49 a pound
- 1 tsp. each dried thyme, marjoram and sage – $.18 at between $23.84 and $27.99 a pound
- 3 Tbsp. dried dehydrated onions – $.50 at $14.99 a pound
- salt and pepper to taste – pantry item
- 1 Weaver Street Market pie topper – $2.50 at $4.99 for 2
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Sort and rinse lentils. Place in a medium size pot and add 1 ½ cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain off any excess water and set lentils aside.
3) Meanwhile, toss potatoes and carrots with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread on a baking sheet. Place in oven and cook until browned and tender, about 25 minutes, toss once halfway through cooking. Remove potatoes and carrots from oven and set aside.
3) In a large sauté pan, heat remaining olive oil over medium high heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms, leeks, thyme, marjoram, sage and dehydrated onions to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquids have reduced and mushrooms are browned. Reduce heat if needed to prevent burning.
4) Add lentils, potatoes and carrots to the pan and toss to combine. Check seasonings and add salt and pepper if needed. Remove mixture from heat.
5) Pour mixture into a baking dish and top with pie topper. Tuck edges of pie topper around edge of baking dish to form a crust edge and cut slits in top to let steam escape.
6) Place pie in oven and bake until browned and bubbly. Serves four.
Total Cost for Meal for Four: $9.80 – $2.45 per serving