• 1 lb. Firsthand Foods Sausages
• 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
• 3 North Carolina Apples (Honeycrisp or Granny Smith or other apple that remains firm when cooked) cut into ½ inch slices
• ¼ c. maple syrup
• 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
• salt and pepper, to taste
1) Place sausages in a sauté pan and pour 2 cups water over sausages. Bring sausages to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until sausages are cooked through and water has evaporated. Add a small amount of olive oil to the pan and increase heat. Turn sausages until browned on all sides. Remove sausages from the pan. Cut sausages into rounds and set aside.
2) In the same pan, over medium heat, add sliced onion and ¼ c. liquid of choice (water, wine, stock, juice) scrape bottom of pan to deglaze and cook onions until wilted.
3) Add sliced apples to the pan and continue to cook until apples are softened, and apples and onions are beginning to brown.
4) In a small bowl combine the maple syrup and mustard.
5) Reduce heat to medium-low and add sliced sausages and maple syrup/mustard mixture to the pan and toss to combine. Continue to cook until glaze has reduced and coated sausages and apples.
6) Check for seasoning, add salt and pepper as needed and serve immediately. Serves four.