Ring in the New Year with good luck! This traditional meal of pork, greens, and black-eyed peas is served on New Year’s Day and has long been touted to bring luck and prosperity in the coming year. We chose local Firsthand Foods sweet
Italian sausage and cooked it up with local greens and Bioitalia organic black-eyed peas (you can substitute fresh cooked peas if you desire). Try this at the demo tables in our Carrboro and Hillsborough stores on Sunday December 31, 2017 from 11 AM to 2 PM. This recipe contains items on sale December 27, 2017 to January 2, 2018!
- 4 Firsthand Foods sweet italian sausages – Sale $5.99/lb. – Save $1.00
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bunch local, organic collards, chopped into strips (about 5 cups raw) – Sale $2/$3.00 – Save $1.98
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 14 oz. Bioitalia organic black-eyed peas (about 2 cups) – Owner Special $1.79/14 oz. – Save $0.70
1) In a large sauté pan cook sausages over medium heat until cooked through completely and nicely browned. Remove sausages from the pan and set aside.
2) In sausage drippings, add garlic and onion to pan and sauté until onion is translucent.
3) Add half the chopped greens, salt, red pepper, bay leaf, vinegar, sugar, and water and stir. Add more greens as they continue to wilt until all have been added. Stir each time.
3) Then add the peas, cover, and reduce heat to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, checking occasionally and adding more water if necessary.
4) Slice reserved sausages and serve with greens and peas. Serves 4.