Packed full of good things and wonderful flavor, this soup is a terrific way to boost your immunity.
- 3 heads of garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 c. kale, stemmed and finely chopped
- 4 c. chicken stock
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 c. cream or half ‘n half
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove excess papery skin from bulbs of garlic. Cut tops of garlic off to expose cloves and place the bulbs on a piece of tinfoil.
- Drizzle bulbs with olive oil.
- Wrap bulbs in foil to enclose and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until garlic is browned and soft. Allow to cool. Once cool, squeeze each clove to press out the garlic. Set aside garlic.
- While garlic is cooling, heat a pot over medium-high heat.
- Add butter to the pan and when it is melted and sizzling, add onions.
- Sauté until onions are softened and translucent.
- Add chopped kale and sauté until kale is tender.
- Add stock, thyme, and roasted garlic.
- Reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the soup.
- Add cream and salt and pepper to taste.