- ¼ cup canola oil(or olive oil )
- 2 ¼ cups white basmati rice
- 1 cup yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 4 cups fresh cilantro(stems & leaves) coarse chop
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teas ground black pepper
- 1 T. sea salt
- 4.5 cups water
Combine onion, spinach, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, and half the measured water in a food processor.
Puree smooth, remove, and add to a bowl.
Add the remaining amount of water and reserve.
(Also, this process can be done with an immersion blender)
In a heavy 4qt sauce pot, toast rice in the oil on medium heat.
Stir rice frequently until lightly golden.
Add reserved liquid and mix well.
Bring to full simmer and reduce heat to low.
Cover with a lid and simmer for about 20 min or until rice is fluffy.