PORCH is an all-volunteer, grassroots hunger-relief organization that collects food and cash donations through monthly neighborhood food drives, then distributes the food to hundreds of at-risk families in our community.
In a 2018 survey, PORCH families reported a high rate of food insecurity—sometimes or often—during the last 6 months:
- 69% reported, “The food that we bought just didn’t last, and we didn’t have money to get more.”
- 85% reported, “They or others in their household cut the size of their meals or skipped meals because there wasn’t enough money for food.”
- 90% reported, “They were hungry but didn’t eat because there wasn’t enough money for food.“
Weaver Street partners with PORCH to provide 40-pound boxes of produce to PORCH’s families through the Food for Families program.
Each month, a week’s worth of fresh food (fruit, vegetables, chicken, eggs, and milk) and one bag of non-perishables are delivered directly into the hands of hundreds of Orange County families identified as food insecure.
The Round Up Funds at Work
- Weaver Street Round Up funds will source fresh produce at cost for PORCH’s Food for Families programs.
- Since 2015, your donations have helped PORCH Chapel Hill-Carrboro grow its program from 270 to 400 families with plans to expand to 425 families this year.
- 2018 Round Up donations helped PORCH Hillsborough launch a Food for Families program for 25 families in northern Orange County. This year the program will expand to 50 families.