Our demo coordinator, Lisa Woodward, created this soup recipe to use fresh winter vieggies (onion, carrot, and kale) along with nonperishable groceries (canned tomatoes, beans, and pasta). We’ll be sending recipes to the food pantries along with the winter veggies purchased with the income from the Round Up! campaign.
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 c. onion, chopped
- 1 c. carrot, 1/2 inch dice
- 2 14.5 oz. cans tomatoes
- 2 c. white beans, canned or freshly cooked
- 4 c. stock or water
- 5 c. kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 1/2 c. pasta, elbow or other smaller pasta
- 1/4 c. parmesan (optional)
- salt & pepper, to taste
1) Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat.
2) Add oil to pan and when it is hot add onions and carrot. Saute until carrots are tender.
3) Add tomatoes and white beans to the pot and heat through.
4) Using a blender, food processor or a masher – puree or mash the tomato mixture until it is thick and creamy.
5) Return tomato mixture to the pot and and stock or water and kale. Bring to a boil.
6) Add pasta to the pot and allow to cook over medium heat until pasta is tender.
7) Add Parmesan (if desired) and check seasoning. Add salt and pepper as needed.