From Lisa Woodward, our Demo Coordinator: This is one of my favorite quick vegetarian dinners because you get tons of great flavor for almost no effort. It doesn’t get better than that! Sautéed cabbage, caramelized onions, and garlic with tender pasta. Toss with some parmesan and serve alongside these flavorful Broiled Roma tomatoes. Quick and delicious!
- 1 16oz. package Field Day Organic Linguine @ $1.99
- 1 sweet onion @ $1.25
- 6 cloves of garlic @ $.50
- 1/2 of an organic cabbage (about 1 lb.) @ $1.49
- ½ c. Belgioioso Parmesan @ $.85 Cost (not including pantry items) = $6.08
For Baked Tomatoes:
- 8 small Roma Tomatoes @ $2.99
- 2 tbsp. Field & Farm Lemon Garlic Basil Vinaigrette @ $.10
- 1/4 c. Belgioioso Parmesan @ $.43 Cost (not including pantry items) = $3.52
Total Cost (not including pantry items) = $9.60 – Feeds a family of Four
Pantry Items (not included in cost)
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- stock or water
Sauteed Cabbage and Pasta Ingredients:
- 16 oz. Field Day Organic Linguine
- ½ c. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 sweet onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head organic cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp. each salt and pepper
- ½ c. stock or water
- ½ c. grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta per package directions. Drain (reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid), toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan heat remaining olive oil over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, add onion and sugar to pan and sauté until onion is beginning to brown.
- Add garlic to the pan and continue to sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add cabbage, stock or water, salt, and pepper to the pan and cover. Cook until cabbage is tender-crisp and wilted.
- Remove lid and continue to sauté until liquids have reduce and cabbage is beginning to brown.
- Add cooked pasta and parmesan cheese to the pan and toss to combine. Add a little bit of the reserved pasta cooking liquid if too dry.
- Check for seasoning and serve while hot.
Broiled Roma Tomato Ingredients:
- 8 small Roma Tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tbsp. Field & Farm Lemon Garlic Basil Vinaigrette
- 1/4 c. Belgioioso Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- Place tomatoes, cut side up, on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with the vinaigrette, sprinkle with the cheese, salt and pepper.
- Place tomatoes under the broiler and broil until cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Serve while warm.