These savory muffins with a side of citrus, honey, and mint melon are perfect for breakfast – or even for lunch or dinner. Parmesan, roasted garlic, and crispy bacon make these muffins a delicious addition to your breakfast, brunch, or anytime-of-day menu. The citrusy, minty melon is a great side dish or stand-alone snack.
- Lindley Mills Organic Unbleached Bread Flour @.56 ($1.69/lb.)
- Lindley Mills Organic Yellow Cornmeal @$.47 ($1.49/lb.)
TOTAL: (not including pantry items) = $1.03
- Homeland Creamery Lowfat Milk @$.20 ($6.29/128 oz.)
- Latta Farm Medium Brown Cage Free Eggs @$.50 ($2.99/dozen)
- Belgioioso Grated Parmesan @$1.22 ($10.99/lb.)
Garrett Valley Dry Rubbed Bacon $3.50 ($6.99 8 oz)
TOTAL: (not including pantry items) = $3.50
- Organic Green Onions @ $.71 ($2.49 bunch)
- Organic Garlic @$.52($1.05 bulb)
- Cantaloupe @$1.99 ($3.99/each)
- Organic Lemon @$.07 ($.70/each)
- Organic Lime @$.13 ($.75 /each)
- Organic Mint @$.11 ($2.59/.5 oz.)
TOTAL: (not including pantry items) = $3.53
- Field Day Raw Organic Wildflower Honey @$.33 ($6.99 16 oz.)
TOTAL: (not including pantry items) = $.33
FINAL TOTAL FOR MEAL (not including pantry items): $10.31
Pantry Items (Not included in cost):
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
Savory Breakfast Quick Bread
- 1/2 head of garlic
- 1 1/2 c. All-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/4 c. milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9x5x3″ loaf pan.
- Place peeled garlic inside a piece of tinfoil, drizzle with a small amount of olive oil, and fold foil to enclose garlic. Place in oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until tender and easily mashed with a fork. Mash well. Set aside to cool.
- Sift flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and black pepper into a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil, milk, eggs, and parmesan cheese.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients by hand or with a mixer, to form a batter.
- Fold in reserved roasted garlic, bacon, and green onions.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake 50 minutes to one hour or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow loaf to cool, in the pan. Once cool, remove the loaf from the pan and allow to cool completely before cutting.
Citrus Honey Mint Melon
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. finely chopped mint
- 1/2 cantaloupe, cubed
- In a bowl, combine juices, honey, and mint. Stir until combined.
- Add cantaloupe to the bowl and toss to coat with citrus-honey mixture.
Slice quick bread and serve alongside melon.