This delicious savory, sweet chutney is packed with flavor! Use it over grilled chicken for dinner or top crackers with cheese and a dollop of this chutney for a terrific snack. This recipe includes specials from the week June 3-9, 2015.
- 1 package Plainville Farms Pork Bacon Sale $1.99/8oz. save 50%, cut into 1/2 inch dice (use kitchen scissors to make it easy!)
- 2 sweet onions, diced
- 1 pint Organic Mini Peppers Sale $1.99/pint save 50%, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1/8 c. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
1) In a large saute pan over medium heat saute bacon until fat has rendered and bacon is crispy.
2) Turn off heat. Remove bacon from pan and place on paper toweling to drain. Set aside. Reserve two tablespoons rendered fat and discard the rest of the fat.
3) Add the reserved fat back to the saute pan and return heat to medium.
4) Add onions and peppers to the pan and saute until onions are translucent. Don’t allow to brown.
5) Add garlic to the pan and saute one minute more.
6) Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until all liquids have evaporated and onions and peppers are tender and beginning to brown (caramelize.)
7) Add reserved bacon, honey, vinegar, and mustard to the pan and stir.
8) Reduce heat to low and continue to cook 10 minutes more.
Serve at room temperature. Use over meats or with cheeses.