A perfect holiday gift or accompaniment for cheese, meat, or your favorite PB and J. An easy refrigerator preserves with tons of fresh citrus-y flavor and a touch of spice. Perfect for the holidays.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe by Mountain Mama Cooks (http://www.mountainmamacooks.com) and contains items on sale December 20-26, 2017.
- 20 clementines – Sale $4.99/5lbs. – Save $4.00
- 2 lemons
- 5 c. water
- 3 c. granulated sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
1) Wash and peel clementines – reserving the peel from 3 or 4 clementines. Set aside reserved peel.
2) Cut each clementine into six pieces and place in a non-reactive pot (no aluminum).
3) Peel lemons, remove and reserve lemon seeds, and cut each lemon into six pieces.
4) Dice reserved clementine peel into ¼ inch dice and add to the pot.
5) Add sugar and water and turn on burner to medium-high. Allow to come to a boil.
6) Meanwhile, place reserved lemon seeds, cinnamon sticks, and cloves in a piece of cheese cloth and tie securely. Place cheesecloth bag into pot.
7) Bring to a boil and then reduce temperature to achieve a simmer (small bubbles breaking the surface, not a rolling boil). Cook for one hour. Stir occasionally, especially toward the end of the hour. The mixture will begin to thicken. Remove cheese cloth from pot and discard. Be careful not to overcook. It can burn easily toward end of cooking as it thickens.
8) The mixture will thicken more as it cools. When cooled enough to handle use an immersion blender or blender to puree to your desired consistency. Transfer preserves to clean sterile jars and store in the refrigerator. Should store for up to three months.