- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 c. onion, minced
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 3 c. fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/4 c. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 c. your choice of honey, maple syrup, molasses, or brown sugar
- 1/4 c. of dark beer
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika (if you like a smoky flavor you can use smoked paprika or a combination of smoked and regular)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Add olive oil to a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
2) When hot add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds longer.
3) Add strawberries to the pan and cook until they can be mashed easily with the back of a spoon. Mash all strawberries well.
4) Reduce heat to medium-low and add all remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
5) Continue to cook until thickened. Stirring occasionally. If you want a smoother sauce, once it is cool, you can puree and strain it to remove any seeds.