Start with hamburgers made of local beef. Weaver Street Market carries beef from Mills Family Farm as part of our sustainable meat and seafood program. Pick up a pound of ground beef to make your cookout patties (at our everyday low price of $6.99/lb). We also carry ground emu and emu patties from Amaroo Hills Farm. Emu is a delicious alternative and safe for those allergic to beef or just looking for a tasty alternative.
If hot dogs are your thing, we have beef hot dogs from Hickory Nut Gap Farm ($6.49/12 oz) as well as vegetarian (but not local) alternatives. If you’re looking for a vegetarian patty, slice a slab of Asheville-made Smiling Hara tempeh through its middle to create a thin patty. Owners: Watch for your owner coupon on Wednesday May 22, which will feature hot dogs, including veggie dogs!
Serve the burgers and dogs on locally made Weaver Street Market hamburger and hot dog buns, made with locally milled organic flour from Lindley Mills. Our bakers also make super-popular burger buns with our focaccia dough, for a unique flavor and burger experience.
Then top your burgers with any of the following:
- Bacon made by Lady Edison, made from humanely raised NC hogs
- Big, fluffy leaves of local lettuce from Nourishing Acres and Maple Spring Gardens
- The first NC tomatoes of the season from ECO and Vollmer Farm
- Pickles by Kyookz or relish by Cottage Lane Kitchen
- Holly Grove Farms’ goat cheese, or Ashe County hoop cheese for a more traditional melt
- Weaver Street Market’s salsa and guacamole for a Tex-Mex burger
- One of our many locally made BBQ sauces
As a final touch, boil up some locally laid eggs from the pastured chickens of Piedmont Progressive Farmers Group (a local co-op of farmers!) and arrive with a plate of deviled eggs (try the super easy recipe here).
However you celebrate, keep it local with foods made right here in North Carolina.